To get started with Python,
An installer program is available for windows platform, as well as source code is available for other platforms. Alternatively, you can download active python a free, all-in-one python distribution that has everything you need to run python on window. Depending on the Operating system one is using it will show download link as shown below.
- Go to the Start menu, and click on Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information
The System Information tool will display detailed information about your Windows operating system. Once opened it will show the "System Summary" – it’s an overview of your computer and operating system.
The value of this item will tell you whether your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit:
x86-based PC: It’s a 32-bit computer.
x64-based PC: It’s a 64-bit computer.
- Double-click on the ActivePython file.
- ActiveState box comes up and tells you it’s going to install ActivePython. Click Next.
- Licensing Agreement. Check the Accept box. Click Next.
- Then a dialogue box opens up allowing you to customize the installation. Don’t customize it. Click Next.
- Finally you will see the “Install” click it. Done. Now the python userguide appears.
>>> print “Hello World!”
You will learn more about this command in the programming book. And make sure that “Hello World!” is inside quotation marks. Press Enter. You should see Hello World! appear in a different-colored font on the line below.
You are done with the installation. Ready to go……
Note: If you get an error message that says: “SyntaxError: invalid syntax” then you either forgot the quotation marks or you installed higher version of Python version, which uses a different print command.
1) For those of you who are new to the field of programming I strongly recommend this book
A byte of python by Swaroop C.H., is a book on programming with python for people with no previous programming experience.
Byte of Python
>> continue reading: Python version for scientific computation > Enthought Python